viernes, 15 de enero de 2016

The workspace question - how to make room even when there seemingly is none



Numerous articles out there discuss whether you should set up your workspace in a separate room or integrate it, say, in a corner of your living-room. For many, the question answers itself because they simply have no spare room they can turn into an independent workshop. Some live in such restricted spaces they can´t even organize everything craft-related in one part of a room. Instead, they store it all under the bed or in a closet and, whenever they want to work, clear the dining table and gather it all up again at the end of their session.

Depending on your personality, the latter is a potentially frustrating solution. In my case, having to make a fuss over beginning a work session is a deterrant. I just want to get right down to the task. Also, clutter drives me bonkers and even affects my ability to concentrate. I am extremely lucky I was able to set up a workshop in the "maid´s room" of our house (posh - and some not so posh - families in Costa Rica often have live-in maids, who are lodged in ridiculously tiny rooms). It might even prevent relationship problems. My hubby doesn´t mind chaos and filth as much. If I did not have my own workshop, but kept my supplies in the main building, and found his dirty socks or empty soda bottles mingled amongst my equipment, trouble would be on.

My workbench. Materials and tools are kept in the removable drawers.

Hence, my advice is to assess how much isolation you need personally in order to be productive and enjoy your work. If you share your house with other people, no matter how close they are to you, ask yourself how to design your workspace in such a way that they will respect it. If you cannot physically remove yourself from the areas of common use, is there a way of practically setting your workspace apart within them? Can you get a desk and storage units exclusively reserved for your materials and tools? Maybe paint the walls a different color in "your" corner of the room or put up a paravent to add some visual definition?

If you find you can´t fit any more furniture into your home, think twice. You may need to declutter. It has happened to me a few times that I believed I lacked storage space and, after throwing out a bunch of things discovered that everything fit nicely in the availaible space. Sometimes, I even ended up with clear areas that hadn´t been there before. If you are not a natural at sorting stuff, I recommend you read "The life-changing magic of tidying up" by Marie Kondo. Don´t let yourself be put off by the high-flying title. Despite the author being an almost compulsive perfectionist, she offers down-to-earth and motivating tips. Even if you don´t have it in you to follow all of her instructions, just taking some of them to heart will already make a difference. Kondo´s book is a quick and useful read you will not regret. Her nuclear strategy is: first declutter, then organize. So far, every time I have proceeded this way, the results have been positively surprising.

Do read this book! And no, I am not receiving any money for suggesting it.

As for the creation of your workspace, go through the following questions, answering "yes" or "no" ("no" meaning you need to move on to the next one):

1) Do I have a separate room I can equip as my workshop?
2) Is there a part of a room I can set up as my workspace?
3) Can I create more space by decluttering and reorganizing my belongings?

Even if your answer to all three is "no", try number three anyways. It is almost certain you will achieve some improvement, and probabilities are high it will be enough to give you more freedom in the use of your home. Conditions for creative work may still not be perfect, but every attempt should be made to optimize them within the given circumstances.

I am very interested in hearing about how you have arranged, or plan to arrange, your workspace. Of course I am also happy to answer your questions and help solve any problems you might have. Just post your comments below.

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario